top of page

Namal Rajapaksa To Be Questioned


Parliamentarian Namal Rajapaksa will be questioned over the murder of former national rugby player Wasim Thajudeen. 

It has been established that the MP was in touch with possible suspects in the case on the night the Rugby player was killed, according to the Asian Mirror.

Breaking the story, Asian Mirror said that they were now in a position to reveal that the name of a prominent young Parliamentarian has surfaced in connection with the investigation into the death of Rugby player Wasim Thajudeen.

The prominent young Parliamentarian is none other than former President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s elder son Namal Rajapaksa, a source closed to the investigation told Colombo Telegraph.

“The new development marks a major breakthrough in the investigation into Thajudeen’s death.” a top investigator told Asian Mirror.

The Police team handling the investigation conducted investigations over the past few weeks to identify those who gave orders to kill the Rugby player. The investigations, according to highly placed Police sources, were mainly based on scientific evidence, Asian Mirror reported.

As Colombo Telegraph reported earlier, Dialog Axiata PLC has submitted the comprehensive details of telephone records that the Attorney General had requested.

Six individuals, including ‘Captain Tissa‘, the personal chauffer of former President Mahinda Rajapaksa, have been traced by the CID as possible suspects in the case. The CID has already obtained travel bans on the six individuals, preventing them from leaving the country.

Captain Tissa, over the past 10 years, also functioned as a bodyguard of Former First Lady Shiranthi Rajapaksa, Parliamentarian Namal Rajapaksa and Lieutenant Yoshitha Rajapaksa.

According to the Asian Mirror, top sources from the Police Headquarters said the CID would arrest suspects before the end of this month.

“The investigation is going very well without any kind of interference, But there will be pressure when they try to arrest Namal” a source closed to the investigation told Colombo Telegraph.

bottom of page